REPORTS TO: Director of Communications
This exempt position reports to the Director of Communications. The Communications Specialist’s responsibilities are to effectively communicate to employees as well as patients and communities for all UHC activities, that includes the use of verbal skills and the development and distributing of various UHC materials and newsletter for patient view as well as for employees. Is expected to generate written correspondence, calendar events, develop general articles and reports as necessary in the management of the outreach and marketing program.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Works closely with the Director of Communications and other members of the departments within Community and Staff Development to:
· Ensures that patients, staff and general public are informed of health center activities.
· Function as liaison between the organization and outside agencies.
· Responsible for the development and contents of articles in the Digest and Newsletter, as well as other printed materials such as brochures and packets.
· Assists and participates in UHC internal and external events.
· Expected to effectively communicate with the Spanish-speaking communities regarding UHC services and activities.
· Work to develop connections with Spanish-speaking communities in which UHC reside and provides services.
1. PERFORMANCE AREA 1: Employee and Patients Relations - Works closely with the Director of Communications and other members of the departments within Community and Staff Development to ensure that patient, staff and the general public are informed of the organization’s services and activities.
a. Assists in the creating and supporting the UHC presence by ensuring that patients, staff, and community members are informed of the services and activities of the health center.
b. Assists the organization’s mission and vision by effectively communicating subjects with community members, business partners, staff, and patients.
c. Supports the organization by effectively communicating the mission and vision of the health center to Spanish speaking community members.
d. Assists the Director of Communications by functioning as liaison between UHC and outside agencies.
e. Supports the activities of the health center by participation and taking an active role in all UHC internal and external events.
f. Sustains UHC development by assisting in the development of the brand portfolio objectives, marketing strategies and advertising plans.
g. Is expected to make certain that the public perception of UHC within the Spanish speaking community is in line with the general public perception of UHC.
h. Participates in public relations activities with the Director of Communications by presenting press statements to Spanish language media outlets.
2. PERFORMANCE AREA 2: Business Analysis and Written Content Media Development
a. Supports UHC’s business and public relations plan by collecting and providing analytical information on health center demographics.
b. Supports the business plan and organizational development by conducting market research. This can include, but is not limited to development, implementation, and analysis of patient and community-wide surveys, utilizing focus groups.
c. Supports the activities of UHC by being responsible for the development and content of articles in the Digest and Newsletter, as well as other printed materials such as brochures and packets.
d. Prepares press releases for review by Director of Communication for submittal to Media.
e. Guarantees effective communication by developing appropriately translated and culturally appropriate marketing and outreach materials.
f. Translates general press releases.
3. PERFORMANCE AREA 3: General Corporate Expectations
a. Attends workshops/seminars as necessary to increase skills and knowledge to provide effective care, treatment, and/or leadership.
b. Supports the overall needs of the health center by working flexible or extended hours when necessary.
c. Demonstrates awareness of, and compliance with, organizational mission and objective of UHC to provide health care access and support services for all members of the community.
d. Supports their own staff development by completing the required hours of continuing education each year.
e. Maintains confidentiality and respect for information regarding patients and other team members; abides by UHC Rules of Confidentiality and general HIPAA regulations regarding privacy.
f. Displays a positive, professional and respectful demeanor at all times toward employees, peers, professional contacts, and patients served, maintaining a professional appearance and positive image for the health centers.
g. Contributes to the team by promoting positive staff interaction, maintains open communication with other programs/departments.
h. Other work-related duties as assigned by supervisor. Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally either verbally or in writing.
· Minimum educational requirement of a BA or BS in Communication, Marketing, Public Relations, and or related field from an accredited college or university.
· Possess a valid CA drivers license
· Minimum 2 years of experience in marketing and/or public relations. Ideally, familiarity with healthcare industry, health issues, and/or community advocacy.
· Bilingual (English/Spanish) with the ability to read and write. This will include ability to appropriately translate documents and materials to match patient and community understanding.
· Able to quickly build and maintain rapport with patients, staff, and community member of differing backgrounds.
· Passion and enthusiasm for community outreach
· A flexible approach when working in a team environment
· Excellent customer relations experience.
· Ability to speak to small and large audiences with ease.
· Strong general and technical writing skills.
· Expert computer skills with familiarity with MS Office products, Photoshop, and newsletter design software.
· Flexibility and dependability
· Demonstrated good problem-solving skills; sound judgment
· Effective time management skills and the ability to cope with several projects at a time
· Expert level understanding of modern office practices and procedures including email
· Attention to detail and excellent follow-through on work tasks
· Able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
· Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds and push up to 50 pounds (on wheels).
· Must be able to hear staff on the phone and those who present in-person
· Has ability to speak clearly in order to communicate information to patients and staff.
· Must be able to read memos, computer screens, personnel forms and clinical and administrative documents.
· Must have high manual dexterity.
· Must be able to reach above the shoulder level to work, must be able to bend, squat and sit, stand, stoop, crouch, reach, kneel, twist/turn.
· Must be able to sit for prolonged periods of time.