Nursing Supervisor LVN
REPORTS TO: Health Center Manager
LOCATION: Earlimart and Sanger
This exempt position is a crucial part of the service delivery team responsible quality patient care at the health center sites. This position supervises and directs nursing staff activities (e.g., Medical Assistants, Referral Clerks, etc.) to ensure quality of care, patient flow, and compliance with regulations and governing bodies. Additionally, a member of the management team, the Nursing Supervisor-LVN evaluates coaches and guides staff performances along with providing indirect and direct patient care within the scope of their respective nursing license.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Works closely with the Clinic Manager and other members of the clinic management team to:
· Maintaining patient flow in clinic to a level that supports agency productivity standards and goals
· Communicates with appropriate personnel as necessary, to examine, revise and evaluate inner-clinic processes to promote efficiency
· Provides supervisory oversight for clinic medical support staff, including performance reviews, coaching and counseling, staff development
· In-services provider and nursing staff as needed regarding procedures, forms, and procedural changes, etc.
· Schedules and facilitates monthly staff meetings with Clinic Manager
· Maintaining accurate records for all meetings (including sign-in sheet) and storing in a place accessible to all staff
· Planning and implementing emergency code and fire drills per agency protocols
· Maintains and supervises medical support staff on the day to day
1. PERFORMANCE AREA 1: Clinic Management and Supervision
a. Supports the quality improvement and compliance goals of the health center by ensuring that UHC meets with required regulations as defined by BPHC and other contracted entities.
b. Responsible for the implementation of a clinical staff-training program that includes assessment of needs and staff skills, maintenance of skills, competence assessment and improvement of competence and the promotion of self-development and learning.
c. Works closely with Clinic Manager and the Human Resources Department to ensure proper staffing levels, staff competency and that all personnel policies and procedures are followed appropriately.
d. Contributes and supports the team environment by maintaining open communication between the Operations Department (front office and nursing) and site medical providers
e. Contributes to overall communication within the area by attending monthly site supervisory meetings and reporting back information and issues to medical support team.
f. Supports the health centers cooperative approach to team building by supporting a team approach to site leadership. Must be able to demonstrate exceptional written, verbal,
and interpersonal communication skills and be able to clearly communicate information.
g. Improves patient access by participating with the COO and site leadership in the analysis of clinical systems and in the development, implementation and on-going evaluation of clinic flow process; this includes actively participating in corporate and site specific performance improvement activities.
h. Supports the health center financial responsibility by ensuring the maintenance of site inventory and ordering of medical supplies meets the patient need and corporate fiscal needs.
i. Responsible for the on-going development and implementation of UHC’s Safety Plan, using processes and activities to reduce and control environmental hazards and risks, prevent accidents and injuries, and maintain safe conditions for patients, visitors, and staff.
j. Participates in annual budget development related to areas of responsibility.
k. Supports the continued development of efficiencies by working closely with the Clinic Manager and site leadership in the analysis of site budgets, costs, and the implementation of cost containment measures.
2. PERFORMANCE AREA 2: Nursing Duties
a. Supports patient access by screening walk-in patients and routes appropriately.
b. Meets regulatory and continuity of care by utilizing standing orders and established screening guides under supervision of physicians.
c. Supports the internal and external patient care by taking responsibility for outpatient medical chart using SOAP method of charting.
d. Supports patient access by providing telephone advice regarding care per health center protocol.
e. Supports the efforts of the providers by supervising the functions in treatment room and is primary in this regard.
f. Supports patient care by assisting the physician and/or provider in procedures and pelvic exams
g. Supports patient care by administering medication and treatment ordered by physicians and/or provider staff.
3. PERFORMANCE AREA 3: General Corporate Expectations
a. Attends and actively participates in all meetings (e.g., department meetings, program meetings, employee staff meetings) and other activities as required or assigned.
b. Attends workshops/seminars as necessary to increase skills and knowledge to provide effective care, treatment, and/or leadership.
c. Supports the overall needs of the health center by working flexible or extended hours when necessary.
d. Supports the needs of the health center by traveling to other UCH clinics when staffing needs dictate the need for licensed personnel.
e. Demonstrates awareness of, and compliance with, organizational mission and objective of UHC to provide health care access and support services for all members of the community.
f. Supports their own staff development by completing the required hours of continuing education each year.
g. Other work-related duties as assigned by supervisor. Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally either verbally or in writing.
h. Maintains confidentiality and respect for information regarding patients and other team members; abides by UHC Rules of Confidentiality and general HIPAA regulations regarding privacy.
i. Displays a positive, professional and respectful demeanor at all times toward employees, peers, professional contacts, and patients served, maintaining a professional appearance and positive image for the health centers.
j. Contributes to the team by promoting positive staff interaction, maintains open communication with other programs/departments.
EDUCATION AND LICENSE/CERTIFICATION:
· Graduate of an accredited school and possess a valid RN license
· Graduate of an accredited school and possess a valid Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN)
· CPR Certification
· Minimum 2 years of nursing experience, preferably in an ambulatory care setting
· Minimum 1 years of management and supervisory experience
· Background in utilization review, risk management and licensure standards
· Bilingual Preferred (English/Spanish)
· Able to quickly build and maintain rapport with patients and providers of differing backgrounds; team player
· Customer-service oriented
· Strong computer skills
· Familiar with adult learning and general training techniques
· Positive professional insight
· Flexibility and dependability
· Demonstrated good problem-solving skills; sound judgment
· Effective leadership/supervisory skills
· Modern office practices and procedures including email
· Attention to detail and excellent follow-through on work tasks
· Able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
· Able to function at all facilities
· Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds and push up to 50 pounds (on wheels).
· Must be able to hear staff on the phone and those who are served in-person, and speak clearly in order to communicate information to patients and staff.
· Must be able to read memos, computer screens, personnel forms and clinical and administrative documents.
· Must have high manual dexterity.
· Must be able to reach above the shoulder level to work, must be able to bend, squat and sit, stand, stoop, crouch, reach, kneel, twist/turn