Health Center Manager (Mendota)
REPORTS TO: Director of Operations
The Health Center Manager is responsible for the professional and administrative work of the health centers’ day to day operations. They are tasked with assigning, directing, supervising, and coordinating staff in providing low-cost, quality health care. The Health Center Manager prepares center budgets, places controls over budget expenditures, etc. Is responsible for the overall management of the site’s human resources by ensuring that staff is well trained, competencies are checked, and evaluated regularly. This position represents the organization for the purpose of dealing with licensing requirements and the requirements of regulatory agencies. Measures and evaluates programs and processes with the health center along with regularly participating in UHC’s Quality Improvement Program. Maintains effective communication with the business unites of the organization, external community groups and agencies, and state and federal agencies. Is expected to be and active and visible member of the community in which their site is located and to be that area’s primary representative for United Health Centers.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Works closely with the Director of Operations and other members of the organization’s management team to:
* Responsible for leading and managing the UHC health center and supporting UHC’s vision of quality health care and excellent customer service.
* Defines the UHC mission, vision, and goals at the site level and is effective at communicating these directives to staff.
* Directs all billing and collecting procedures, to include appropriate coding and ensuring that staff are trained and educated in all local, state, and federal billing regulations.
* Oversees the delivery of patient services to include reviewing physician schedules and forecast data.
* Recruits personnel, supervises, and directs health center staff to ensure the center operates in an effective and efficient manner, ensuring the patients receive a high quality care and excellent customer service.
* Completes various special projects that may require reviewing and analyzing information, identifying problems, recommending solutions, and writing reports.
* Understands and enforces UHC personnel and operations policies and procedures.
1. PERFORMANCE AREA 1: Leadership & Management
a. By inspiring confidence and by motivating, leads health center staff members to accomplish all job objectives within the health center.
b. Helps to establish and implement goals, objectives, policies and procedures, and general operational systems for the health center.
c. Monitors and controls the health center’s expenditures and keeps within the site’s established budget.
d. Responsible for the oversight of the health center’s productivity and is expected to provide staff feedback on activities.
e. Fosters the goals of teambuilding with all health center staff.
f. Demonstrates appropriate delegations and coordination of tasks and duties within the health center to ensure they are met in a timely and error-free manner.
g. Is expected to support the organization by developing the leadership and management skills of staff through delegation of responsibilities and tasks.
h. Supports the organization by consistently working to ensure that collection rates meet UHC standards.
i. Leads staff through issues by working problems and issues using critical thinking, conflict management techniques, and negotiation.
j. Ensures excellent use of health center resources by utilizes the purchasing system appropriately ensuring best price and quality.
k. Understands and demonstrates a working knowledge of the practice management systems.
l. Understands and is knowledgeable on payor sources and Medicare, Medi-Cal, managed care, and other third party guidelines.
m. Ensures that health center billing practices meeting UHC standards.
n. Administers health center patient compliant policy and procedure and takes appropriate action on issues.
o. Determines the best approach to dealing with patient issues and concerns. Works the problems to completion with a “win – win” expectation.
p. Is responsible for maintaining confidentiality of patient information to UHC’s Corporate Compliance program.
q. Implements policies and procedures that are in accordance with local, state, and federal regulations.
r. Ensures that the site documents, reports, and records issues and incidents by completing or working with staff to complete incident reports in a timely manner.
s. Develops effective working relationships with staff and patients and understands the customers of the health center and their needs.
t. Assists providers with development activities associate with building a successful practice.
u. Fosters teamwork with the health center as well as organization wide.
v. Accesses data to effectively managed health center operations by utilizing quality improvement tools and personnel.
w. Determines and demonstrated effective communication methods and defines appropriate line of authority for the health center in keeping with the overall organizational structure.
x. Implements staff ratios and standards for health center activities and programs with an eye for economical use of resources.
y. Works with supervisory staff in monitoring staffing and attendance of personnel to ensure adequate support within the health center.
2. PERFORMANCE AREA 3: General Corporate Expectations
a. Attends and actively participates in all meetings (e.g., department meetings, program meetings, employee staff meetings) and other activities as required or assigned.
b. Attends workshops/seminars as necessary to increase skills and knowledge to provide effective care, treatment, and/or leadership.
c. Supports the overall needs of the health center by working flexible or extended hour when necessary.
d. Supports the needs of the health center by traveling to other UHC health centers when staffing needs dictate the need additional management personnel.
e. Demonstrates awareness of, and compliance with, organizational mission and objective of UHC to provide health care access and support services for all members of the community.
f. Supports their own staff development by completing the required hours of continuing education each year.
g. Other work-related duties as assigned by supervisor. Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally either verbally or in writing.
h. Maintains confidentiality and respect for information regarding patients and other team members; abides by UHC Rules of Confidentiality and general HIPAA regulations regarding privacy.
i. Displays a positive, professional and respectful demeanor at all times toward employees, peers, professional contacts, and patients served, maintaining a professional appearance and positive image for the health centers.
j. Contributes to the team by promoting positive staff interaction, maintains open communication with other programs/departments.
* Associate or Bachelors degree with coursework in Business Administration, Health Services, or related field preferred.
* Possess a valid CA Driver’s License
* Minimum 2 -3 years of experience in a healthcare setting, preferably in an ambulatory care setting
* Bilingual (English/Spanish)
* Able to quickly build and maintain rapport with patients and providers of differing backgrounds; team player
* Customer-service oriented
* Strong computer skills
* Familiar with adult learning and general training techniques
* Positive professional insight
* Flexibility and dependability
* Demonstrated good problem-solving skills; sound judgment
* Effective leadership/supervisory skills
* Modern office practices and procedures including email
* Intermediate computer skills
* Attention to detail and excellent follow-through on work tasks
* Able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
* Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds and push up to 50 pounds (on wheels).
* Must be able to hear staff on the phone and those who are served in-person, and speak clearly in order to communicate information to patients and staff.
* Must be able to read memos, computer screens, personnel forms and clinical and administrative documents.
* Must have high manual dexterity.
* Must be able to reach above the shoulder level to work, must be able to bend, squat and sit, stand, stoop, crouch, reach, kneel, twist/turn