HCA Supervisor (Earlimart)
SALARY GRADE: 4
REPORTS TO: Health Center Manager
Under the direction of the Health Center Manager, individual will direct, supervise, and coordinate staff and day-to-
day operations for assigned center to provide quality and cost effective care. Expected to manage the daily
operations of both the Front Office and Medical Records areas of the health center. Responds to issues as
appropriate (i.e., patient concerns, employee relations issues, etc.) and forwards information to appropriate
supervisor and to Health Center Manager for formal follow-up. Consistently conducts operations and decision-
making base on using UHC policies and procedures. Approaches work in a consistent and timely manner and as
directed by the Health Center Manager.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Works closely with the Health Center Manager and other members of the clinic management team to:
- Works with Health Center Manager to monitors and evaluate staff performance and recommends
promotions and disciplinary actions.
- Provides Health Center Manager with on going feedback on staff performance and assist with completing
- Provide appropriate coaching, training, counseling and staff development in association with Health Center
- Participates in the interview process and selection of new personnel with Health Center Manager for Front
Office and Medical Records positions.
- Demonstrates exemplary customer service in both verbal and written encounters.
- Plans and evaluates working assignments to ensure adequate coverage to provide quality care.
- Forwards all notification (formal and informal) of site audits/visits (i.e., OSHA Blue Cross etc.) to Health
Center Manager who will coordinate between clinical and operations to ensure readiness for site
- Maintains direct communication with Health Center Manager, providing updates on operational issues,
process improvement suggestions and other concerns.
- Under the direction of the QA Coordinator, will participate in process improvement and data collection as
- Ensures data entry corrections/completion is resolved in a timely manner.
- Monitors accuracy of charge entry through regular auditing of staff work.
- Provides coverage in health center positions as necessary. Including Health Care Associate and Medical
- Interfaces with other departments to ensure operational effectiveness.
- Able to multitask and manage assigned project as directed by Health Center Manager.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Health Center Manager.
1. PERFORMANCE AREA 1: Front Support Operational Responsibilities
This position works closely with Health Center Manager and other site management personnel to ensure
smooth operations and seamless integration of front support area functions into the overall functions of the
1.1 Supports and manages the overall work area by working with the Health Center Manager to
monitor and evaluate staff performance and recommend promotions and disciplinary actions.
Provides the Health Center Manager with on going feedback on staff performance to assist with
the completing performance evaluations.
Job Description: HCA Supervisor Page 2 of 3
1.2 Supports the work of the health center by effectively planning and evaluating work assignments to
ensure adequate coverage.
1.3 Effectively communicates issues and concerns to Health Center Manager when they arise.
1.4 Supports staff development and improvement by provide appropriate coaching, training,
counseling and training per management direction.
1.5 Supports the area and Health Center Manager by being a knowledge expert in using UHC medical
management software and other tools standard for the work and area.
1.6 Ensures appropriate staffing by participates in the interview process and selection of new
personnel with Health Center Manager for Front Office and Medical Records.
1.7 Maintains direct communication with Health Center Manager, providing updates on operational
issues, process improvement suggestions and other concerns.
1.8 Supports the functions of the front office by ensuring that collection and data entry of patient
information by front support team members is accurate and free from errors. Additionally, that
any corrections are resolved in a timely manner and at the front support level to ensure timely
1.9 Ensures that quality of work is error-free and complete by monitoring accuracy of charge entry.
This would include regular audits of staff work and process review.
1.10 Supports the overall work of the area by providing when necessary, coverage of Front Support
positions (including Medical Records) positions.
1.11 Effectively interfaces with other departments within the clinic and corporation to ensure
operational effectiveness for the area.
1.12 Supports the work of the Health Center Manager by being able to multitask and manage multiple
assigned projects and to meet assigned deadlines.
1.13 Effectively communicates and works closely with the Health Center Manager to comply with
compliance issues and regulatory expectations of site audits/visits (i.e., OSHA Blue Cross etc.).
2. PERFORMANCE AREA 2: Customer Service, Quality Improvement, & Staff
This position is responsible for level of quality of service, customer service and interactions with patients,
and the ongoing training and development of staff within the area.
2.1 Responsible for ensuring that the team exhibits exemplary customer service in both verbal and
written encounters by role modeling and coaching staff to performance.
2.2 Supports the quality improvement initiatives of the health center by participating in process
improvement and data collection activities as necessary.
2.3 Responsible for the quality improvement activities within the area by coordinating staff training
and retraining when processes are modified within the functions of the department.
2.4 Supports the quality improvement and compliance goals of the health center by ensuring that UHC
personnel within their area meet required regulations as defined by BPHC and other contracted
2.5 Supports the work of the area by ensuring that new personnel are acclimated to the work
environment and provided general expectations to performance along with training.
2.6 Ensures that staff is directed to and provided opportunities for additional training that support the
activities within the area.
3. PERFORMANCE AREA 3: General Corporate Expectations
3.1 Attends and actively participates in all meetings (e.g., department meetings, program meetings,
employee staff meetings) and other activities as required or assigned.
3.2 Attends workshops/seminars as necessary to increase skills and knowledge to provide effective
care, treatment, and/or leadership.
3.3 Supports the overall needs of the health center by working flexible or extended hours when
3.4 Supports the needs of the health center by traveling to other UCH clinics when staffing needs
dictate the need for licensed personnel.
3.5 Demonstrates awareness of, and compliance with, organizational mission and objective of UHC to
provide health care access and support services for all members of the community.
Job Description: HCA Supervisor Page 3 of 3
3.6 Supports their own staff development by completing the required hours of continuing education
3.7 Other work-related duties as assigned by supervisor. Duties and responsibilities may be added,
deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally either
verbally or in writing.
3.8 Maintains confidentiality and respect for information regarding patients and other team members;
abides by UHC Rules of Confidentiality and general HIPAA regulations regarding privacy.
3.9 Displays a positive, professional and respectful demeanor at all times toward employees, peers,
professional contacts, and patients served, maintaining a professional appearance and positive
image for the health centers.
3.10 Contributes to the team by promoting positive staff interaction, maintains open communication
with other programs/departments.
EDUCATION AND LICENSE/CERTIFICATION:
High School diploma or equivalent is required. Associates Degree in Business Administration, Health Care
Administration, or a related field is preferred. Experience in lieu of degree may be applied for this position.
Minimum 5 – 8 years of experience in management or supervisory position (in a healthcare or ambulatory care
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
- Able to quickly build and maintain rapport with patients and providers of differing backgrounds; team
- Customer-service oriented
- Strong computer skills
- Familiar with adult learning and general training techniques
- Positive professional insight
- Flexibility and dependability
- Demonstrated good problem-solving skills; sound judgment
- Effective leadership/supervisory skills
- Modern office practices and procedures including email
- Attention to detail and excellent follow-through on work tasks
- Able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds and push up to 50 pounds (on wheels).
- Must be able to hear staff on the phone and those who are served in-person, and speak clearly in order to
communicate information to patients and staff.
- Must be able to read memos, computer screens, personnel forms and clinical and administrative documents.
- Must have high manual dexterity.
- Must be able to reach above the shoulder level to work, must be able to bend, squat and sit, stand, stoop,
crouch, reach, kneel, twist/turn