DEPARTMENT: Health Education
REPORTS TO: Director of Patient Programs
The Degreed Nutritionist is responsible for conducting nutrition assessments and providing appropriate education sessions. Degreed Nutritionist assesses patients and client’s health needs and diet, counsel’s patients on nutrition issues and healthy eating habits. They will also organize group meetings to help patients with the relationship between good eating habits and preventing or managing specific diseases.
Responsible for assisting and developing a health education department, nutritional assessment, nutrition education, development of individual education nutrition plan, and nutrition counseling. Plans nutrition education topics and outlines for group classes. Responsible to implement at least two group classes per month.
Under general direction of the Director of Patient Programs, the Degreed Nutritionist is responsible for the educational component for the management of chronic diseases. This position will work closely with the Director of Patient Programs and the Clinical Services Officer, the use of standing orders to initiate prevention screening, initiate population outreach strategies for high risk patients with chronic disease, and teach patient self-management skills to improve patient engagement by extending the reach of the care teams. This position will also work closely with Quality Improvement at all UHC sites, to ensure that health is fully integrated by collecting and analyzing data for Clinical Care guidelines. Responsible to work collaboratively with providers, staff and key team leaders to expand the roles of the care teams to provide better care coordination, better patient engagement, and better outcomes by conducting nutrition assessments and providing appropriate nutrition education sessions.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Works closely with the Director of Patient Programs, Registered Dietician, Director of Quality Improvement, Physicians, Health Center Manager, CPSP Manager, Medical Assistants and other members of clinic management team to:
* Design and develop individual education plan on nutrition
* Provides the highest level of nutrition competence
* Works closely with MA staff to integrate health education materials and information in health center operations and patient visits.
* Works closely with MA staff to ensure that staff is adequately trained to provide health education information that is in line with UHC’s chronic care model.
* Develop a curriculum to enhance the role within the Patient Centered Medical Home, with standing orders and planned visits.
* Assists in developing operational plans and policies necessary to achieve health education objectives and services.
* Provide nutrition and health education visits at all UHC sites.
* Work with Health Education staff to help coordinate curriculum for Health Education program.
* Prepares and distributes health education materials, including reports, bulletins, and visual aids such as films, videotapes, photographs, and posters to health center personnel and
* Develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with agencies and organizations interested in health care as partners of UHC.
1. PERFORMANCE AREA 1:
a. Coordinates with CPSP program for UHC by maintaining patient nutrition curriculum and revising as necessary.
b. Provide Nutrition visits for patients at all UHC sites.
2. PERFORMANCE AREA 2:
a. Responsible for working with and collaborating with Director of Patient Programs, Director of Quality Improvement, Health Educators, Providers and Medical Assistants to coordinate and develop curriculum for Health Education and care coordination.
3. PERFORMANCE AREA 3: General Corporate Expectations
a. Attends and actively participates in all meetings (e.g., department meetings, program meetings, employee staff meetings) and other activities as required or assigned.
b. Attends workshops/seminars as necessary to increase skills and knowledge to provide effective care, treatment, and/or leadership.
c. Supports the overall needs of the health center by working flexible or extended hours when necessary.
d. Supports the needs of the health center by traveling to other UHC clinics when staffing needs dictate the need for licensed personnel.
e. Demonstrates awareness of, and compliance with, organizational mission and objective of UHC to provide health care access and support services for all members of the community.
f. Supports their own staff development by completing the required hours of continuing education each year as well as new certifications as required.
g. Other work-related duties as assigned by supervisor. Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally either verbally or in writing.
h. Maintains confidentiality and respect for information regarding patients and other team members; abides by UHC Rules of Confidentiality and general HIPAA regulations regarding privacy.
i. Displays a positive, professional and respectful demeanor at all times toward employees, peers, professional contacts, and patients served, maintaining a professional appearance and positive image for the health centers.
j. Contributes to the team by promoting positive staff interaction, maintains open communication with other programs/departments.
Must have knowledge and understanding of and be sensitive to area minority groups and their socio-economic backgrounds/cultures. Demonstrated ability to function independently, strong organizational skills and flexibility required. Individual must be self-motivated and able to develop positive working relationships with a wide variety of individuals. Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred. Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing in both English and Spanish required. Must have
strong oral presentation skills and the ability to interact with a wide range of clients effectively. Must have a valid California driver’s license.
EDUCATION AND LICENSE/CERTIFICATION:
* Bachelors degree in Nutritional Sciences or closely related field; Master’s degree preferred;
* Minimum 2 years of experience in a healthcare setting, preferably in an ambulatory care setting
* Prior experience preferred
* Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
* Able to quickly build and maintain rapport with patients and providers of differing backgrounds; team player
* Customer-service oriented
* Strong computer skills
* Familiar with adult learning and general training techniques
* Positive professional insight
* Flexibility and dependability
* Demonstrated good problem-solving skills; sound judgment
* Effective leadership/supervisory skills
* Modern office practices and procedures including email
* Attention to detail and excellent follow-through on work tasks
* Able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
* Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds and push up to 50 pounds (on wheels).
* Must be able to hear staff on the phone and those who are served in-person, and speak clearly in order to communicate information to patients and staff.
* Must be able to read memos, computer screens, personnel forms and clinical and administrative documents.
* Must have high manual dexterity.
* Must be able to reach above the shoulder level to work, must be able to bend, squat and sit, stand, stoop, crouch, reach, kneel, twist/turn
Travel is a requirement for this position.